Custom Audiences allows you to connect your Facebook Ad Account to Wistia. With Wistia stats in Facebook, you’ll have the power to “retarget” ads on Facebook based on video engagement.
Wistia and Facebook Ads are a match made in marketing heaven. Here’s our step-by-step guide to getting the Custom Audiences Integration working for you.
Let’s start with a brief overview. Here are the 3 key steps to getting fully integrated:
Connect to Facebook Ads. This will allow you to connect your Facebook Ad platform accounts to Wistia in order to empower those platforms with viewership data.
Accept Permissions. When connected, this will grant Wistia permission to manage your ad account.
Confirm Connection. Confirm that we’ve connected to and are using the correct pixel and ad account.
First we need to connect to Facebook Ads. To do so, navigate to the integration page within your Account and select the Facebook Ads integration. This integration will be listed under the “Promotion Integrations” section of the page.
Connect to the Integration by clicking Connect to Facebook Ads and login to your Facebook account.
Once you have connected to Facebook, you will be prompted to accept the permissions that Wistia will request from Facebook. For the Facebook Ads integration, we will be requesting the ability to manage ads.
Within your Wistia Integration Page, expand your Facebook Ads Integration. You should see the name of the Ad Manager and the Ad Pixel which you are connected to. If you have multiple accounts associated with your Facebook login, you can select the Ad Account Manager and/or Pixel that you would like to be integrated with from their respective dropdown menus.
When a viewer watches an embedded Wistia video or channel, we send the following events to Facebook:
- % Watched
- Played Video
Each of these events also includes additional metadata that can be used to “refine” audience rules in Facebook’s Audience creation tool. We include the following metadata about each of the events we send:
- channel_id: The 10 character string at the end of each Channel URL which is a unique identifier for each channel.
channel_name: Text reflecting the name of the channel. Associated with the name designated to its original Project.
video_id: The 10 character string at the end of each Video URL which is a unique identifier for each video.
- video_name: Text reflecting the name of the video. Associated with the name designated to the video on your Video’s editor page.
- First, ensure you are viewing a Channel and choose Promote Page from the left hand navigation bar.
Once you are properly connected, you will be able to navigate to your new “Promote Page.” This page will be accessible via a left navigation item when viewing a Channel. Here is what your Promote Page will look like:
We include the following “Suggested audiences” for all channels:
- Watched less than one video
- Watched one video
- Watched more than one video
- Subscribed to the channel
Once you enable them, your Custom Audiences will appear in the Facebook ad account which you are connected to. On Facebook these audiences can be used for ad targeting, yay!
You can use the data you collect with Custom Audiences to re-engage viewers based on how they watched videos on your website. Read on to learn how to understand the data you can collect, and how you can effectively use it.
You’ll notice four pre-populated audiences that exist within Wistia.
Watched less than 50% of one video
- These folks have watched less than half of a video on your channel.
Watched at least 50% of one video
- This audience consists of people who have watched more than half of a video on your channel.
Watched at least 50% of more than one video
- Users who have watched at least half of two videos on your channel.
Subscribed to a Channel
- These audiences have subscribed to receive updates about your content.
Ready to create your own Lookalike Audience? Once you’re in Facebook Ads Manager and have selected the Custom Audience you want to create a lookalike from, head to the Actions dropdown menu and select Create Lookalike.
The following screen will appear, where you can specify your Audience Location and Size:
For more detailed instructions on creating Lookalike Audiences using Facebook Ads Integration, check out Facebook’s Help documentation.
Excited to start expanding your content’s reach with Custom Audiences? Before you dive in, consider these best practices when creating Lookalike Audiences:
- Start with at least 1,000 people
- In order to create a Lookalike Audience, Facebook recommends that you have more than 1,000 people in your audience.
Experiment with different parameters
- If you don’t quite have 1,000 people in your data set, try opening up the criteria a bit. For example, instead of choosing users who have watched more than one video, create an audience of folks who have watched more than 50% of a single video. This will open up your audience set, fueling future lookalike and remarketing efforts.
Remember that the bigger the audience, the less targeted
- In the US, a 1% lookalike will get you an audience size of around 2 million people.
Facebook Custom Audiences is just the start of how to implement Brand Affinity Marketing for your business. For more in depth guide on Brand Affinity Marketing head over to our Brand Affinity Marketing Playbook!