Lots of things can cause playback issues, and at Wistia we're always working on improving your viewer's experience. If you think something might be up site-wide, the best place to look is our Status Page. Here we'll report any outages as soon as they happen, and let you know as soon as they're resolved.
If nothing is amiss there, it's time to start troubleshooting.
Got loading problems? The video just isn't playing? Let's figure this out, and rule out the easy things first.
Are you (or your customers) experiencing slow loading, or seeing a "Loading..." message on your videos? The most common cause of this problem is that the viewer's Internet connection speed is not fast enough to support video playback reliably. While we take many steps to optimize the playback experience for each viewer, there are some minimum requirementsfor a smooth playback experience.
Check your internet speed. If you're not up-to-par, contact your Internet provider. If so, let's move on.
Like with video uploading problems, it may seem silly, but it's an amazing fix in a number of situations. Try clearing your browser's cache and restarting your web browser.
- Chrome Chrome --> Clear Browsing Data or History --> Show Full History --> Clear Browsing Data...
- Safari Preferences --> Privacy ---> Remove All Browsing Data
- Firefox History --> Clear recent history
- Internet Explorer Tools --> Internet Options --> Browsing History
Just like uploading, internet connection can affect playback. Try resetting your router and make sure you have a secure connection. All set? It's time to start investigating.
Sometimes different browsers can cause problems. If you're using Firefox and your video doesn't play, but things are hunky-dory in Chrome, let us know! We'll be happy to dig deeper with you.
Sometimes you pull out all the stops, and still nothing works. It's time to call for backup. To help expedite your troubleshooting playback experience, we'd love it if you:
- Log a Problem Report, which is found by right-clicking on the player (note: this is not available on mobile devices currently). If you're on a mobile device, a link to your What's My Browser info should do the trick.
- Let us know if this is browser-specific. If you try a different browser, does it work? Which browsers?
- What about the video quality? Are you seeing a problem when it's set to Auto? Is there one specific quality that doesn't look the same as the others?
- Is it happening for a specific group of users? Are they in a specific country? Telling us where you're located could help us pinpoint the issue faster.
All of this information will help us to narrow down where your issue is coming from. The more information you give us, the faster we can work to solve your problem. 🚀