Wistia and Marketo go together like peanut butter and jelly -- like Sherlock and Watson, like! Want to get in on the fun? Here's our guide to getting the Wistia-Marketo integration working for you.
Haven't signed up for the integration yet?
Haven't signed up for the integration yet?
With the Wistia-Marketo integration you can:
- Generate new leads with Turnstile
- Automatically add leads to a Marketo List ✨NEW✨
- Score leads based on video interaction
- Pipe leads into Smart Lists based on viewing data
- Send emails with integrated video links
- Be a video marketing superstar
Get Set Up
Get on the plan
To get the Wistia-Marketo integration working, you'll need to be on a plan with marketing automation integrations enabled. Check out our plans page for more info!
Setting things up in Marketo and Wistia
To send leads from Turnstile into your Marketo account, there are three things you need to create in Marketo:
- An API-Only User Role
- An API-Only User (in other words, a robot user on your Marketo account with the aforementioned role 🤖)
- A Custom Service
Fortunately, our friends at Marketo wrote some lovely documentation about how to complete each step:
Thanks, Marketo. 🙌
After you finish creating your Custom Service, click on View Details on your new service. Copy the Client Id and Client Secret into the Marketo integration area in your Wistia settings.
Next, go to Admin > Integration > Web Services > REST API in Marketo and copy/paste the URLs for Endpoint and Identity into Wistia as well.
Make sure you have all four:
- Client Id
- Client Secret
- REST API Endpoint
- REST API Identity
Have those four pieces on information filled in, clicked "Connect", and see that the integration is connected? Well then congrats, you're all set up in Wistia! The last thing to do is set up your website.
Setting things up on your website
To track how people watch your videos and use that data to drive automation in Marketo, you first need to have a video embedded on your website. Here's how to do that.
Then just make sure Marketo's Munchkin tracking script is on the same page as your video, and that video viewing data will appear in Marketo automatically.
If for one reason or another you're not set up after following the steps above, contact us and we'll help you out.
Want to learn how to put your fancy new Wistia-Marketo integration to work? The sections that follow contain the information you seek.
Collect Leads with Turnstile
Remember that time you configured Turnstile to connect to your Marketo account? Well now when people enter their names and email addresses (or just email addresses, if you'd prefer) into Turnstile, they'll automatically get passed from Wistia to Marketo as new leads with the lead source set to "Wistia Video: (name of the video here)". You can also optionally add all the leads collected from a specific video in your Wistia account to a static list in your Marketo account.
Don't see the option to select a list? You must be on an older version of the Wistia-Marketo integration. From your Integration Settings page, disable your existing Marketo integration, set up the new one (it asks for your REST API Endpoint instead of SOAP), and you should be all set.
Here's what Turnstile looks like:
So that video was just an example, but if that was your video, you'd probably have a brand new lead right about now. That would be cool.
"But Wistia," you ask, "what if that person was already an identified lead in my Marketo account?" Glad you asked. In that case, only missing fields will be updated. For example, if you already had email@example.com as a lead in Marketo with a leadSource of Campaign X, but Bob filled out a Turnstile with his name, Bob Smith, only firstName and lastName would be updated. As a result, Bob would be a lead in Marketo with firstName Bob, lastName Smith, email firstname.lastname@example.org, and leadSource Campaign X.
Fun fact: All of a person's video viewing activity from before they entered their information into Turnstile will be associated with their lead record, so you can see exactly what the path to conversion was in the lead's Activity Log in Marketo.
Yet another fun fact: Their historical viewing data will live in Wistia too! Anytime you get a new lead through Turnstile, the person's info will appear in right in your Wistia stats along all their viewing activity – even from before they used Turnstile.
To get started with Turnstile, go to a video page in your Wistia account and open the Timeline Actions section of the Customize panel.
Setting Up Marketing Automation Based on Video Viewing Data
Wouldn't it be cool if when a person watches at least 50% of a certain video on your website, you could automatically send them an email about that product a few days later? Or if a person entered their email address into Turnstile, you could have a salesperson get notified to follow up?
"Why yes, yes that would be quite cool indeed," you say? Phew! Good thing we built this integration.
Before you can trigger automation in Marketo based on a Wistia video event on your website, that event will need to occur at least once. So before anything else, go onto your website and do the thing you want to use as a trigger in the embedded video (like watch 50% of the video, or click an Annotation Link) – just like regular visitor to your website would. Then Marketo will let you select it as a trigger.
Have you read the super important note above and done the thing you'd like to use as a trigger? Alrighty then, carry on! Here's how to set the automation up:
- Head to the Marketing Activities section in your Marketo account.
- Create a new Smart Campaign. Choose a folder, and give the campaign a name. A description too, if you'd like.
- In the campaign screen, go to the Triggers section in the panel on the right.
- Now here's where it gets a little weird, but hey, that's what this tutorial is here for. All of events related to how people interact with your videos are recorded as "Visits Web Page" triggers in Marketo, even though they don't have much to do with visiting a web page (beyond the fact that the video is embedded on one). The details of the type of event will be in the Trigger's Detail description. So, find the Visits Web Page trigger, and drag that little guy into the "Drag triggers and filters from the right" area.
- Now it's time to define the specific video event trigger. If you wanted to run automation when a person watches 75% of a video called "Making French Toast at Wistia", you'd tell Marketo to set the trigger to Web Page --> is --> Wistia Video: "Making French Toast at Wistia" 75% Watched.
- Once you've picked the right event for the right video, move onto the Flow step. That's all Marketo's domain, so check out the Marketo documentation for details.
There are a bunch of other things you can automate too, like:
Bravo, Marketo. 👏
Add Video Thumbnail Links to Your Emails
Email is a wonderful way to engage with your customers (and future-customers)... but email with video is an even wonderfuller way.
To add a video thumbnail link to an email campaign, just follow this quick process:
- Open the video's page in your Wistia account.
- Click on the Video Actions menu, and choose Embed & Share.
- On the Link In Email Campaign tab, select Marketo as your email provider.
- Adjust the thumbnail image size and choose the URL where you want people to watch the video. It can be the video's page in your Wistia account, or anywhere you have it embedded.
- Copy the Email Merge Tag from Wistia and paste it into your email in Marketo.
Fun fact: When people receive your email and click through to watch the video, their email addresses will automatically pass through to your Wistia stats.