Once you’ve navigated away from a video, it can be pretty frustrating to have to scan through it again just to figure out where you left off. That’s why we’re excited to share that we made a player update making all Wistia videos resumable. Now, the player remembers your spot (and your settings) so it’s super easy to jump right back in.
This new feature is enabled for all videos hosted on Wistia, which means there’s nothing to do on your end to get it working. Pretty nice, right?
Now when you go to watch a video, the visual progress indicator shows you just how much you’ve already seen before you press “play” again. Plus, the player also remembers your volume and playback settings — no need to panic-mute the player as you dive back in. Here’s what it looks like in action for the viewer:
And if you’re using Channels to showcase your videos, you’ll now see a “Resume” button that acts as a shortcut to bring you right back into the last video you watched.
In addition to the visual changes we’ve made, we also wanted to share a few more details about this new feature and how it impacts your videos. Let’s get in the weeds, shall we?
Here are some fast-facts about resumable video:
- Resumable video works on individual video embeds and in Channels.
- The player will remember your volume, mute, and playback speed settings across videos.
- If the viewer has fewer than five seconds left, the video restarts from the beginning.
- For autoplaying videos, and videos shorter than five minutes, resumable video is disabled by default.
- If you want to disable resumable video on an individual media or Channel, you can set the embed option resumable: false on your embed.
If you’ve been using the resumable video plugin from Wistia Labs, it will keep working, but we do recommend you stop using it going forward; the new core experience has you covered!
We’re super excited about these updates and are working hard on some big stuff to make your audience’s experience even better! Stay tuned.